Thursday, April 30, 2009

Fighting Back, Armed and Dangerous, -and- Don't Bet on It!


Fighting Back - cruise-ship passenger fends off pirates with deck chair
Armed and Dangerous - NYPD officers accused of raping drunk woman
Don't Bet on It! - Minnesota seeks ISP online gambling block

On this day in history: April 30, 1945 - Newlyweds Adolf Hitler and Eva Braun kill themselves in the charming and romantic Fuhrerbunker, ending all hope for a ten-thousand-year Reich.

Born on this day in history: April 30, 1982 - Kirsten Dunst (1982-) Born in Point Pleasant, NJ, actress Kirsten Dunst began as a child actor and successfully transitioned into adult roles. She has already garnered over 40 film and TV credits, including films like "Interview with the Vampire," at age 11, and a string of Hollywood productions, including "Little Women" (1994) and "Spiderman" (2002), opposite fellow child phenom Tobey Maguire.

Scripture of the Day: To our God and Father be glory for ever and ever. Amen. - Philippians 4:20

Video of the Day: Hero Dog - submitted by Frank





Imagine my surprise when I encountered this scene while driving to my office this morning! Click to enlarge.






Tuesday's Dinner
For dinner Tuesday, I grilled a large London broil, yellow squash, and white mushrooms. I baked russet potatoes in the microwave. Laura placed an excellent rub on the London broil the previous day. I grilled the meat until it was nicely charred on the outside and still rare in the center. It was an excellent meal. There is a quantity of the London broil remaining for a future meal.






Wednesday's Dinner
For dinner last evening, I made Sautéed Chicken Livers with Chiles de Arbol and Green Onions over Jasmine Rice. I coated the livers with highly seasoned corn meal and sautéd them in extra-virgin olive oil that had warmed for several minutes with whole dried Chiles de Arbol. When the livers were done on one side, I turned them and continued cooking. When they were fully cooked, I turned off the burner and tossed the chopped green onions atop the chicken livers. I cooked absolutely perfect jasmine rice in the microwave: In an uncovered casserole dish, I added rice and two cups of water for each cup of dry rice. I cooked uncovered for 5 minutes on high. I cooked for 10 minutes on medium. At the end of the cooking cycle, I removed the casserole dish from the microwave and put its lid in place. I allowed the rice to sit for 10 minutes prior to serving it. It was a delicious meal.